What Is Access to Information and Privacy?
Access to Information Act
The Access to Information Act provides a right of access to information in records under the control of a government institution, according to the principles that government information should be available to the public, that necessary exceptions to the right of access should be limited and specific, and that decisions on the disclosure of government information should be reviewed independently of government.
The Privacy Act extends to individuals the right of access to personal information about themselves held by a government institution. The Act also protects the privacy of individuals by preventing others from having access to their personal information. In addition, it limits federal institutions' use of the personal information that they collect and retain.
The following principles for assisting applicants, established by the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat, are to be communicated to applicants.
In processing your access to information request under the Access to Information Act, or your personal information or personal information correction request under the Privacy Act, we will:
- Process your request without regard to your identity.
- Offer reasonable assistance throughout the request process.
- Provide information on the Access to Information Act and the Privacy Act, including information on the processing of your request and your right to complain to the Information Commissioner or Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- Inform you as appropriate and without undue delay when your request needs to be clarified.
- Make every reasonable effort to locate and retrieve the requested records under the control of Elections Canada.
- Apply limited and specific exemptions to the requested records.
- Provide accurate and complete responses.
- Provide timely access to the requested information.
- Provide records in the format and official language requested, as appropriate.
- Provide an appropriate location on Elections Canada's premises to examine the requested information.