Our mission, mandate, values
Ensuring that Canadians can exercise their democratic rights to vote and be a candidate.
Elections Canada is an independent, non-partisan agency that reports directly to Parliament. We must be prepared at all times to conduct a federal general election, by-election or referendum, administer the political financing provisions of the Canada Elections Act, monitor compliance and enforce electoral legislation. Elections Canada is also mandated to conduct voter education and information programs, and provide support to the independent boundaries commissions in charge of adjusting the boundaries of federal electoral districts following each decennial census. Finally, Elections Canada may carry out studies on alternative voting methods and, with the approval of parliamentarians, test electronic voting processes for future use during electoral events.
Our day-to-day activities and decision making are guided by the following key values:
- a knowledgeable and professional workforce
- transparency in everything we do
- responsiveness to the needs of Canadians involved in the electoral process
- cohesiveness and consistency in administering the Canada Elections Act
- continuously earning and maintaining the public's trust
- stewardship and accountability in how we manage our resources