open Secondary menu

Central Poll Supervisor Guidebook – Ordinary Polls

Other situations

Letter of Confirmation of Residence

First Nations electors, homeless electors, seniors and students can use a Letter of Confirmation of Residence EC 50053 as proof of address.

Note: a letter printed on the institution's letterhead that confirms the elector lives or receives services there is also accepted

If your polling place is likely to serve these groups, the DRO will get a List of Facilities – Letter of Confirmation of Residence EC 50054 in their supplies.

Call the office for help when the institution name on the elector's letter is not on the list.

Transfer Certificate

These certificates (EC 10190 or EC 50052) are issued by the office and allow an elector to vote at a polling station other than the one their address is assigned to.

If your polling place is likely to serve electors who have or require a Transfer Certificate, the office will provide instructions.

Elector can't or refuses to provide proof of identity and address

  1. Take elector aside
  2. Calmly explain to them that it's the law to provide proof of identity and address
  3. If they have 2 documents to prove their identity but don't have proof of address, suggest they find another elector who can attest to their address

Option 1

If someone can attest to their address, direct them and the attestor to Registration Officer

Option 2

If no one can attest to their address, give them Have Your ID Ready EC 90189. Ask them to come back with acceptable ID

Elector refuses to take oath 1 or 2

Electors may refuse to take these oaths and appeal to you. If you don't have Delegation of Authority EC 10090, call the office and follow instructions.

If you have it

  1. Ask the person requesting that the elector take the oath the reason for the request
  2. Discuss the matter with DRO and Poll Clerk
  3. Decide if the request is reasonable.
    The person making the request must have a valid reason.
    The request must be directly related to the oath.
    The person must doubt either
    • the elector's age (18 or older) or Canadian citizenship — oath 1
    • the elector's residence because their ID doesn't show a residential address — oath 2
    If the request is not reasonable
    • the elector does not need to take the oath
    • DRO and Poll Clerk serve elector following regular process — p. 10 of their guidebook
    If the request is reasonable
    • the elector must take the oath
    • DRO and Poll Clerk serve elector following oath process — p. 32 of their guidebook
    If the elector still refuses
    • DRO doesn't give them a ballot
    • the elector is asked to leave
    • Poll Clerk crosses their name off the List of Electors, if they are on it, but does not tick Voted box
      Note: remind DRO and Poll Clerk not to count this elector as Voted or their count will be off
    • in Poll Book EC 50060 p. 4 (on the list) or p. 12 (not on the list), Poll Clerk writes elector's name, address, polling division and sequence number and ticks Refused oath box beside their name

Representative challenges several electors or disobeys guidelines

  1. Take representative aside and ask them to explain the reasons for their actions
  2. Resolve the situation as calmly as possible
  3. Remind them they have to respect Guidelines for Candidates' Representatives EC 20045 and may not constantly object to electors, if applicable

Representative repeatedly challenges electors, slows down voting or disobeys guidelines

  1. Fill out an Incident Report EC 10051.
    Include contact information of any witnesses and election officers involved
  2. Ask election officers and any witnesses to each write a detailed description of what happened
  3. Call office to inform them of the situation. Provide as much detail as possible, including the representative's name and political party
  4. Follow the office's instructions
    Note: they might tell you to ask the representative to leave

Elector wants to be removed from List of Electors permanently

Inform them they have to write to Elections Canada and request to have their name removed. The request must include their name, date of birth, home and mailing addresses, and signature. It must be mailed to:

Elections Canada
National Register of Electors
30 Victoria Street
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0M6

For more information, they can call the office or Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868.

Elector, election officer or representative has a concern or complaint

Note: if their concern is about accessibility, give them the option to fill out a Polling Site Accessibility Feedback Form EC 50119

  1. Ask them to explain the situation
  2. Take their feedback or complaint seriously
  3. If something can be done, tell them you will try to fix the issue
  4. Thank them for their feedback
  5. Fix whatever you can safely and quickly
    Note: if you can't fix the issue or aren't sure, tell them you will report it to the RO, who will try to fix it that day
  6. Fill out an Incident Report EC 10051if you can't fix the issue or aren't sure, tell them you will report it to the RO, who will try to fix it that day
  7. Keep any related evidence with the form

If the person wants to fill out a Polling Site Accessibility Feedback Form

  1. Give them a form to fill out
  2. Make sure all relevant sections are completed
    Note: the person can stay anonymous; name and address are optional
  3. Separate white copy and give it to elector
  4. Put pink and yellow copies in Accessibility Feedback Box EC 50121
  5. Thank them for their feedback

Elector has or needs an interpreter

Interpreters may not go behind the screen with electors or help them mark the ballot. If an elector requests a language or sign language interpreter, call the office to see if they can provide one.

DROs can also appoint an interpreter.

  1. Get DRO to
    • fill out Appointment and Oath EC 10130
    • administer oath to the interpreter
    • have the interpreter sign the form
  2. Separate the form
  3. Give yellow copy to interpreter
  4. Bring white copy to the office at end of day to make sure they get paid

Elector wants to be served in French

  1. Say 'Bonjour', and give them Bilingual Welcome Card EC 50145 if they have not been given one already
    Note: the card asks them to show you ID and informs them they need ID to vote
  2. If they are having difficulty, say 'Un moment s'il vous plaît,' and call office for help

Electors with disabilities

You are legally required to accommodate electors with physical, mental and developmental disabilities and to serve them in a way that respects their dignity.

Face the elector and speak calmly. Even if they have a hearing impairment, your natural facial expressions, gestures and body movements will help them understand.

Note: service dogs are allowed inside the polling place

If you see an elector who might need help

  1. Ask them politely if there is anything you can do to help
  2. Listen carefully to what they say and be patient
  3. Do whatever it is they ask you to do to assist them