Deputy Returning Officer and Poll Clerk Guidebook – Ordinary Poll
Candidates and their representatives (for both deputy returning officers and poll clerks)
Their main contact is the CPS, who can ask them to leave or have them removed if they don't follow Guidelines for Candidates' Representatives EC 20045.
Representatives only take an oath at the first polling place they visit.
- be under 18 years of age
- be a non-Canadian citizen
- observe the activities at your polling station
- ask you to see an elector's ID only when you are checking that the ID is acceptable
- 15 minutes before the polls open, ask to have the ballots counted and to inspect the ballots, the ballot box and any other voting materials
- examine the Poll Clerk's List of Electors during voting hours when no electors are waiting
- sign the seals on envelopes when the polling station closes
- copy serial numbers on ballot box seals and verify they are the same at the count
- ask for Statement of the Electors Who Voted on Polling Day EC 50111 (bingo sheet) every hour
- use their Authorization of a Candidate's Representative EC 20020 at any polling place in the electoral district during advance polls and on election day
- if present for the ballot count, ask for Copy of Statement of the Vote for Candidates and Representatives EC 50110
They may not
- act as interpreters for electors
- sit at your table
- touch an elector's ID
- interfere with the voting process
- disobey CPS or DRO directions or decisions
- bring in any documents, folders, clothes or items that show the name, emblem or colour of a political party or candidate (CPS decides what is acceptable)
- take any photographs or make any audio or video recordings at the polling place
When a candidate's representative arrives at your station
- Ask to see their Authorization of a Candidate's Representative EC 20020.
It should be folded inside Plastic Badge Holder EC 20909 behind Candidate's Representative Badge EC 20901
Note: candidates don't need an authorization form or badge
- Check that the Election Officer Section is signed and dated by a CPS or DRO.
If it isn't or if they don't have a form, send them to CPS
- Direct them to where they may sit to observe
Note: only 2 representatives per candidate are allowed at your station at a time