News Releases and Media Advisories
Deregistration of the Pirate Party of Canada
Gatineau, Thursday, October 19, 2017
- The Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, has informed the leader of the Pirate Party of Canada that the party is deregistered effective Thursday, November 30, 2017.
- The party is being deregistered for failing to file the required financial transactions return and auditor's report for the 2016 fiscal year.
- The party may no longer issue tax receipts for contributions received after the effective date of its deregistration and is no longer entitled to any of the benefits of a registered party under the Act, including the use of broadcasting time.
- A notice of the party's deregistration will be published in the Canada Gazette.
- An updated list of registered political parties is available on Elections Canada's website.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations