News Releases and Media Advisories
42nd Federal General Election Underway
GATINEAU, Sunday, August 2, 2015
- The 42nd federal general election will be held on Monday, October 19, 2015.
- Elections Canada offices in each of the 338 federal electoral districts will begin offering services to voters and candidates during the first week of August, with established hours that will be expanded as the demand for services increases starting in September.
- Canadian citizens at least 18 years old on election day are eligible to vote.
- Electors need to be registered to vote. Most electors are already registered. To check if they are registered, electors can visit elections.ca/register or call us at 1-800-463-6868.
- Electors have many voting options to choose from: they can vote by mail, in person at any Elections Canada office, at advance polls or at their polling station on election day.
- To vote, electors must show proof of their identity and address. The list of accepted pieces of identification is available online.
"Elections Canada is committed to making the voting process as accessible as possible to all Canadian electors," says Chief Electoral Officer of Canada Marc Mayrand. "We are pleased to offer electors a range of voting options. We also accept many different pieces identification to help ensure they have what they need to vote."
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
For daily election updates, subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.