News Releases and Media Advisories
A by-election will take place in Lac-Saint-Jean
Gatineau, Thursday, August 10, 2017
- On Wednesday, August 9, 2017, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Lac-Saint-Jean (Quebec) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between Sunday, August 20, 2017 and Monday, February 5, 2018. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election period must last at least 36 days, and the by-election must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that the Lac-Saint-Jean by-election can be held is Monday September 25, 2017.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations