Press Releases and Media Advisories
Chief Electoral Officer of Canada Submits Report on
Federal By-elections in 2009
OTTAWA, Wednesday, March 31, 2010
- The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Marc Mayrand, submitted his report on the November 9, 2009, by-elections to the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Honourable Peter Milliken.
- The by-elections took place in the electoral districts of:
- Cumberland–Colchester–Musquodoboit Valley (Nova Scotia)
- Hochelaga (Quebec)
- Montmagny–L'Islet–Kamouraska–Rivière-du-Loup (Quebec)
- New Westminster–Coquitlam (British Columbia)
- The 2009 by-elections report, as well as the official voting results and contributions and expenses reported by candidates, are available on Elections Canada's Web site.
"As I have outlined in the report, the November 2009 by-elections ran smoothly," said Mr. Mayrand.
"Elections Canada took advantage of the November 2009 by-elections to introduce a number of measures for improving service to electors. These measures included increasing the number of advance polling stations in rural areas and providing enhanced training for election officers," added Mr. Mayrand.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca