Press Releases and Media Advisories
Chief Electoral Officer of Canada Announces
Election Expenses Limits
Limits apply to candidates, registered political parties and
third parties in the federal by-elections
OTTAWA, Monday, November 2, 2009
- Spending limits for parties and candidates in the November 9, 2009, by-elections are based on the number of names on the preliminary or revised lists of electors – whichever yields the higher limit.
- The final election expenses limits for political parties with candidates in one or more electoral districts have now been published. The formula for calculating these limits is established in subsection 422(1) of the Canada Elections Act.
- The final election expenses limits for candidates in each of the electoral districts have now been published:
- Cumberland–Colchester–Musquodoboit Valley (Nova Scotia)
- Hochelaga (Quebec)
- Montmagny–L'Islet–Kamouraska–Rivière-du-Loup (Quebec)
- New Westminster–Coquitlam (British Columbia)
- The election advertising expenses limit for third parties in an electoral district is a fixed amount (adjusted for inflation) established in section 350 of the Canada Elections Act.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca