Special Voting Rules as Adapted for the Purposes of a By-election
Administration and General Procedures
Establishment of voting territories
180. For the purpose of these Rules, a voting territory with headquarters in Ottawa is hereby established. The Chief Electoral Officer may establish any additional voting territories or administrative centres in or outside Canada that he or she considers appropriate.
Appointment of special voting rules administrator
181. The Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint, in the prescribed form, a special voting rules administrator.
Duties of special voting rules administrator
182. The special voting rules administrator shall
- (a) secure suitable premises;
- (b) retain the oath of office of each special ballot officer;
- (c) not applicable;
- (d) not applicable;
- (e) distribute the election materials and the list of candidates;
- (f) receive, validate, examine and sort the completed outer envelopes that contain special ballots marked by electors;
- (g) proceed with the counting of the votes of electors; and
- (h) communicate the results of the votes cast in accordance with these Rules.
Special ballot officers
183. (1) After the issue of a writ for a by-election, the Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint a minimum of six special ballot officers as follows:
- (a) three, on the recommendation of the Prime Minister or a person whom the Prime Minister designates in writing;
- (b) two, on the recommendation of the Leader of the Opposition or a person whom that Leader designates in writing; and
- (c) one, on the recommendation of the Leader of the registered party that has the third largest number of members in the House of Commons as of the last general election, or a person whom that Leader designates in writing.
Appointment of special ballot officers
(2) A special ballot officer shall be appointed in the prescribed form.
Appointment of additional special ballot officers
184. (1) If the Chief Electoral Officer is of the opinion that the number of special ballot officers appointed under section 183 is insufficient, the Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint additional special ballot officers on recommendations that are, as nearly as possible, in accordance with subsection 183(1).
Decision of Chief Electoral Officer
(2) If the registered parties do not nominate the additional special ballot officers under subsection (1) within 24 hours after notification by the Chief Electoral Officer, the Chief Electoral Officer shall make the appointments from among individuals that he or she selects.
Merger of parties
185. (1) In the case of a merger of two or more of the registered parties that are represented by the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition or the Leader of the registered party that has the third largest number of members in the House of Commons as of the last general election, the person who may recommend special ballot officers under paragraph 183(1)(c) is the leader of the registered party with the largest number of members in the House of Commons as of the last general election among registered parties other than those three.
Decision of Chief Electoral Officer
(2) In the case of a merger referred to in subsection (1), if there is no registered party whose leader may nominate special ballot officers under paragraph 183(1)(c), the Chief Electoral Officer shall make the appointments from among individuals that he or she considers appropriate.
Form of special ballots
186. Special ballots supplied by the Chief Electoral Officer to electors under these Rules shall be in the form set out at the end of these Rules.
List of candidates
187. The Chief Electoral Officer shall establish a list of candidates nominated in each electoral district where a by-election has been called and, in accordance with section 117 of the Act, set out the political affiliation of each of the candidates.
188. Not applicable.
Distribution of election materials, etc.
189. The special voting rules administrator shall distribute to any person or place that the special voting rules administrator considers appropriate
- (a) a sufficient quantity of election materials, without delay after the issue of a writ for a by-election; and
- (b) the list of candidates established under section 187, without delay after it is established.