Regulation Adapting the Canada Elections Act for the Purposes of a Referendum
Conduct of a Referendum
Date of General Election
- 56.1 Not applicable.
- 56.2 Not applicable.
Writs of Referendum
- 57. (1) Not applicable.
- (1.1) Not applicable.
- (1.2) Not applicable.
- (2) In the case of a referendum,
- (a) the date of issue of the writs shall be the
same for all electoral districts; and
- (b) polling day shall be the same for all
- (c) not applicable.
Polling day held
on a Monday
- (3) Subject to subsection (4), polling day
shall be on a Monday.
- (4) If, in the week in which the referendum is
to be held, the Monday is a holiday, polling day
shall be held on the Tuesday of that week.
polling day is
- (5) If the day fixed for the vote is a Tuesday
because of subsection (4), any time period
specified under this Act or the Referendum Act
before or after polling day is to be calculated as
if polling day were the Monday.
- 59. (1) The Governor in Council may order
the withdrawal of a writ for any electoral district
for which the Chief Electoral Officer certifies
that by reason of a flood, fire or other
disaster it is impracticable to carry out the
provisions of this Act or the Referendum Act.
Duties of Chief
- (2) If the Governor in Council orders the
withdrawal of a writ, the Chief Electoral Officer
shall publish a notice of the withdrawal in the
- (3) Not applicable.
Returning officer to open and maintain an office
- 60. (1) Every returning officer shall, without
delay after receiving the writ or notice by the
Chief Electoral Officer of the issue of the writ,
open an office in premises with level access
in a convenient place in the electoral district
and shall maintain the office throughout the
- (2) The Chief Electoral Officer may fix the
hours that the office must be open and the minimum
number of hours of compulsory attendance
at it by the returning officer and the
assistant returning officer.
Appointment of staff
- 61. (1) The Chief Electoral Officer may
authorize returning officers to appoint the staff
that they consider necessary for the purposes of
this Act and the Referendum Act.
- (2) Staff mentioned in subsection (1) shall
- (a) be appointed in the prescribed form;
- (b) take the prescribed oath; and
- (c) be discharged as soon as their services are
no longer needed.
Notice of Referendum by Returning Officer
Notice of referendum
- 62. Within four days after the issue of the
writ, each returning officer shall sign and issue
a Notice of Referendum in Form 2 of Schedule
1 that indicates
- (a) not applicable;
- (b) the date for polling day;
- (c) the date and time, not later than seven
days after polling day, for the validation of
- (d) the address of the returning officer's office.
Return by Acclamation
Holding of an Election
Federal Referendum Legislation – Contents