Report on Annual Expenditures for Travel, Hospitality and Conferences
As required by the Treasury Board Directive for the Management of Expenditures on Travel, Hospitality and Conferences, this report provides information on the total annual expenditures for each of travel, hospitality and conferences for Elections Canada for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011.
Expenditures on travel, hospitality and conferences incurred by federal departments and agencies are related to supporting departmental mandate(s) and the government's priorities. In particular, for Elections Canada, this includes the delivery of the following core programs and/or services to Canadians:
- be prepared at all times to conduct a federal general election, by-election or referendum
- administer the political financing provisions of the Canada Elections Act
- monitor compliance with and enforce electoral legislation
- conduct voter education and information programs
- provide support to the independent commissions in charge of adjusting the boundaries of federal electoral districts following each decennial census
- carry out studies on alternative voting methods and, with the approval of parliamentarians, test on-line voting processes for future use during electoral events
A summary description of the Agency's program activities can be found at http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/rpp/2011-2012/inst/ceo/ceo01-eng.asp#sec1.
Travel by public and non-public* servants across the country is required for Elections Canada to fulfill its mandate whether in election readiness or delivery mode.
|Expenditure Category||Expenditures for the year ending March 31, 2011
(in thousands of dollars)
|Travel – Public Servants||$992|
|Travel – Non-Public Servants*||$908|
|International Travel by Minister and Minister's Staff||-|
(*) Includes travel of returning officers and field election workers.