Secondary menu

FAQs on the December 11, 2017, Federal By-elections

There will be federal by-elections in the following electoral districts on Monday, December 11, 2017:

Who is eligible to vote in a federal by-election?

You can vote in a federal by-election if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are at least 18 years old on election day, Monday, December 11
  • have been a resident* of an electoral district where a by-election is being held since November 8 or earlier
  • can prove your identity and address

Not sure if this is your electoral district (riding)? Click here to find out.

*If you're a Canadian living abroad, incarcerated or a Canadian Forces elector, your Canadian address for voting purposes must be in the electoral district where the by-election is taking place.

Back to top

Am I registered to vote in a federal by-election?

Check online to see if you're registered to vote in the federal by-election.

If you can't check online, call us to ask if you're registered.

Registered voters should get a voter information card in the mail by November 23 at the address we have on file for them. The card confirms that you are registered and tells you when and where to vote.

Most eligible voters are already registered in the National Register of Electors, the permanent database of Canadians qualified to vote in federal elections and by-elections.

Back to top

How do I register or update my registration for the federal by-election?

The deadline to register or update your information for the federal by-election is 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 5. To register or update your information, choose among these options:

It's possible to register or update your address at your advance or election day polls, just before you vote. But it is easier and faster to do it ahead of time.

For all other updates to your voter registration file (change of name, etc.), you must sign a paper form. You can do this:

Back to top