Secondary menu

FAQs – General Questions

Questions and Answers

What is my electoral district?

Canada is divided into 308 electoral districts. One representative, or member of Parliament (MP), is elected for each electoral district.

Each electoral district has a returning officer, who opens an office when an electoral event is called. The returning officer is responsible for organizing and administering federal elections and referendums within that electoral district.

You can find the name of your riding on this site by going to the Voter Information Service (type your postal code or search another way).

How many electoral districts are there in Canada?

There are 308 electoral districts in Canada.

How do I make a complaint about a possible violation of the Canada Elections Act?

You can make a complaint about a possible violation of the Canada Elections Act:

The Commissioner of Canada Elections has the responsibility under the Canada Elections Act for the investigation and enforcement of election offences.

Back to top

What details should I provide in a complaint about a possible Canada Elections Act violation?

To respond to complaints about alleged violations, the Commissioner of Canada Elections requires the following minimum information:

  1. Your name, mailing address and telephone number.
  2. Your e-mail address and fax number, if applicable.

    If you are submitting the complaint on behalf of another person or organization, please also include the name of that person or organization (the complainant) and their contact information (mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address and fax number, if applicable).
  3. A factual description of the events, circumstances or actions that you believe gave rise to the alleged offence.

Please include specific dates, places and/or documents that you believe are relevant. This information will enable the Commissioner to assess your complaint; without it, assessment of your complaint may be delayed.

Keep in mind:

Back to top

How do I file a general complaint or give feedback on the conduct of a federal election?

To provide feedback on the conduct of an election, an election worker or another general matter, please use the online complaint form.

The Office of the Chief Electoral Officer (Elections Canada) handles complaints that are not believed to be violations of the Canada Elections Act.

Back to top

How do I make a complaint about a misleading or inappropriate phone call?

Electors may get live or recorded phone calls (“robocalls”). If you believe you have received a call that was misleading or inappropriate, please contact the Commissioner of Canada Elections:

Back to top

Do you have material for schools?

Yes, Elections Canada offers two election simulation kits for schools. They provide a realistic experience of voting, based on actual federal election procedures.

The kit Canada at the Polls! is intended for Grades 5 and up. Choosing our Mascot is for younger children, kindergarten to Grade 4. Both are available on this Web site.

How do I order school materials?

You may order school materials:

Back to top