Secondary menu

Voter Identification

You must prove your identity and address to register and vote in a federal election. Here are your ID options when you are voting in person – at an Elections Canada office, at advance polls or on election day:

Show one piece of government-issued ID

It must have your photo, name and current address.


  • driver's licence
  • provincial or territorial ID card


Show two pieces of ID

Show one piece with your name, and one piece with your name and address.


  • health card and phone bill
  • debit card and bank statement


Take an oath

Show two pieces with your name, and have someone who knows you attest to your address.

This person must:

Pieces with your name:

  • health card
  • Canadian passport
  • birth certificate
  • certificate of Canadian citizenship
  • citizenship card
  • social insurance number card
  • Indian status card
  • A Band membership card
  • A Métis card
  • A card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • Canadian Forces identity card
  • Veterans Affairs health card
  • old age security card
  • hospital card
  • medical clinic card
  • label on a prescription container
  • identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care facility
  • blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • credit card
  • debit card
  • employee card
  • student identity card
  • public transportation card
  • library card
  • liquor identity card
  • parolee card
  • firearms licence
  • licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
  • driver's licence (may be used to prove your name if the address is outdated)
  • provincial or territorial ID card (may be used to prove your name if the address is outdated)

Pieces with your name and address:

  • utility bill (e.g. electricity; water; telecommunications services including telephone, cable or satellite)
  • bank statement
  • credit union statement
  • credit card statement
  • personal cheque
  • government statement of benefits
  • government cheque or cheque stub
  • pension plan statement
  • residential lease or sub-lease
  • mortgage contract or statement
  • income tax assessment
  • property tax assessment or evaluation
  • vehicle ownership
  • insurance certificate, policy or statement
  • correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • targeted revision form from Elections Canada to residents of long-term care facilities
  • letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
  • letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
    • student residence
    • seniors' residence
    • long-term care facility
    • shelter
    • soup kitchen

Important information about ID

Frequently asked questions

Can I use ID with a mailing address PO box, rural route or general delivery?

Yes, if your mailing address appears in your voter registration file.

If you're not sure what address we have on file, check your voter registration here.

Once we have your mailing address on file, you can use ID with this address when you go vote. If you need more help with voter registration, contact us.

Can I use my passport to vote?

Yes. You can use your passport to prove your identity (name). But you also need to show a second piece of ID with your name and address.

Why can't my passport count as proof of my name and address?

Passport holders write their own address into their passport. For a piece of ID to count as a proof of address, the address must be added by the issuer of the document. That's why we accept a passport as proof of identity (name), but not as proof of address.

What is a letter of confirmation of residence? How can I get one?

This letter is a piece of ID you can use to prove your address, if one of these living situations applies to you:

You can get this letter from the administrator of a First Nations band or reserve, an Inuit local authority, a student residence, seniors' residence, long-term care facility, shelter or soup kitchen.

If you can, print the letter of confirmation of residence form and ask the administrator to complete it and sign it. We will also accept a letter from the administrator that is printed on the letterhead of the establishment. When you go vote, bring the letter and a second piece of ID with your name.

I'm homeless or I have no fixed address. How can I prove my address?

You can use a letter of confirmation of residence to prove your address.

How do I know if someone is registered in the same polling division as me?

The person who attests to your address has to live in your polling division and be registered to vote.

How to know if someone lives in your polling division: Someone who lives with you is in the same polling division as you. A neighbour usually lives in your polling division, too.

To be sure, verify that their "poll number" matches yours. Poll numbers are available online or on the back of your voter information card shortly after the election is called.

How to know if someone is registered to vote: Anyone who receives a voter information card in their name is registered to vote. Make sure you have one, and check with the person who will attest to your address to see if they got one, too. If one of you didn't receive a card, register online or call us at 1-800-463-6868.

For more information, consult Elections Canada's policy on voter identification
or call us at 1-800-463-6868.