Filing your taxes? Check the boxes.
Share this information with Elections Canada every year to be ready to vote.
If you tick "Yes"
- You authorize the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) to give only your name, address, date of birth, and Canadian citizenship status to Elections Canada to ensure that your information is up to date.
- If you are an eligible elector who is not already in the Register, Elections Canada will accept this as your request to have your information added to it.
The CRA updates the information provided to Elections Canada every month. Your authorization remains in effect until you file your next return. Therefore, if you move during this period and you advise the CRA of your new address, the CRA will advise Elections Canada the next time information is provided.
If you tick "No" to one or both questions (or do not make a choice)
- The CRA will not give any of your information to Elections Canada.
- You will not lose your right to vote.
- Elections Canada will not remove your information from the Register if it is already there.
- If there is an election or referendum and you are not already registered, in order to vote you will have to take the necessary steps to be added to the electoral list.