Important deadlines for the candidate's campaign
When the candidate's campaign starts, before contributions, transfers or loans are accepted or expenses are incurred, the candidate must:
- Appoint an official agent
- Appoint an auditor
- Open campaign bank account
After the Election is called:
- Deadline to submit nomination papers is 2:00 PM on the day that is 21 days before election day.
Within 1 month after Election Day:
- If paper-form tax receipts were used, the official agent has to return all unused or cancelled tax receipts as well as a copy of each used tax receipt to Elections Canada.
Within 3 months after Election Day:
- The official agent must receive Candidate's Statement of Personal Expenses and all supporting documents from the candidate.
Within 4 months after Election Day:
- The official agent sends the Candidate's Electoral Campaign Return (accompanied by all required documents) and the Auditor's Report and Checklist for Audits to Elections Canada.
- The candidate sends the Candidate's Statement of Gifts and Other Advantages Received to Elections Canada if gifts or other advantages received from any one entity exceed a total of $500.
If a claim or loan is paid any time after the campaign return is filed, the official agent must send an updated campaign return to Elections Canada within 30 days.
19 months and 37 months after Election Day:
- The Candidate's Statement of Unpaid Claims and Loans 18 or 36 Months after Election Day must be sent to Elections Canada if the campaign has unpaid claims and loans.