How to Make a Request
Submitting your Request Online
To make a request online, you will be redirected to the Access to Information and Privacy Online Request Service. You will be required to select Elections Canada from a list of institutions that are also accepting request through the online service. In order to use this service, a credit card will be required to process the payment of the $5 application fee for access to information requests. You will need to provide sufficient proof of identity for privacy requests.
Access to Information Request
In order for Elections Canada to process an access to information request, the following requirements must be met:
- The request must be in writing. The applicant may either complete an Access to Information Request Form or write a letter to the attention of the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator.
- The request must clearly identify the information being sought. This will help Elections Canada retrieve the information.
- The applicant must enclose a five-dollar ($5) cheque or money order payable to the Receiver General for Canada.
- When the applicant resides outside of Canada, he or she must prove his or her status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Request for Personal Information
In order for Elections Canada to process a request for personal information, the following requirements must be met:
- The request must be in writing and signed. The applicant may either complete a Personal Information Request Form or write a letter to the attention of the Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator. All requests must contain an original signature; a request made via fax or e-mail will be placed on hold until the applicant's original signature is received.
- The request must clearly identify the personal information being sought. This will help Elections Canada retrieve the information.
- The applicant must provide sufficient proof of identification. This should be a photocopy of government-issued identification (one or more pieces) bearing the applicant's name, date of birth, address, photograph and signature.
- When an applicant requests the personal information of a third party, the request must include, in addition to the above requirements: a signed statement that the applicant has a right to access the personal information of that third party; proof of the applicant's authority; and sufficient proof of the third party's identification.