Deputy Returning Officer & Poll Clerk Guidebook–Advance Polling Days
This section explains how to pack up your materials at the end of each day. You will end up with a Transport Bag containing the official voting documents, ballots etc. that must be kept secure. On Friday, Saturday and Sunday night you will leave the other items where they are. On Monday night you will have a second Transport Bag with those extra supplies and items not needed again.
- The CPS Spot Check shows when to call your CPS before doing the next steps. Do not move forward without review from your CPS
How do I organize and return my material?
Before you organize your material, you must have completed the steps for:
- 1 Long Ballot Box Seal EC 50200 from Advance Poll Bag EC 50480
- Seal Control Sheet EC 50205 from Advance Poll Secure Bag EC 50485
Record the seal number on Seal Control Sheet EC 50205. Write the date and time. Write 'Secure Bag' as the reason.
Set the seal aside for later.
Note You will have one of each of these envelopes for each completed day of advance polls. On Monday night, you will have 4 of each
Put the following used and completed items on top of Advance Poll Secure Bag EC 50485. There may be some inside from previous days (leave them inside).
- If either the DRO or the PC or both will be replaced by other election officers tomorrow, indicate the estimated "Time Out" on the Log of poll workers – Events Log (page 2-3) EC 50060.
If the DRO will be giving the poll materials to the CPS for safekeeping overnight or until election day, add an entry in the Log of notable events – Events Log (page 8-11) EC 50060 recording the handover of materials to CPS.
Put Events Log EC 50060 on top of Advance Poll Secure Bag EC 50485.
Set aside the following items for the CPS to check:
Spot Check 7
Have CPS check the items, then put them into Advance Poll Secure Bag EC 50485. Zip the bag, fold over the top and seal it down lengthwise with Long Ballot Box Seal EC 50200 you set aside in step 1.
Put the following into Advance Poll Bag EC 50480, if not already there:
Every night, put the following in Transport Bag EC 50253:
On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, put VIC Collection Bag EC 50256 in the same Transport Bag EC 50253.
On Monday only, give VIC Collection Bag EC 50256 to the CPS.
Keep these items with you and bring them with you the following day or on election night.
- On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, unless directed otherwise, you can leave all other materials at your table until the following day.
On Monday, put all other materials into a second Transport Bag EC 50253.
Every night, bring Transport Bag EC 50253 containing Ballot Box EC 50250, Advance Poll Secure Bag EC 50485 and Advance Poll Bag EC 50480 home or give it to CPS for safekeeping as directed by office.
Note Make sure your polling station number is written on both transport bags
On Monday only, unless otherwise directed, do the same with the second Transport Bag EC 50253 containing all other materials.
- See the CPS before you leave.
- complete Time sheet for the Election Worker EC 11655
- confirm when you should arrive in the morning or on election night