open Secondary menu

Information Officer Guidebook

Serving Electors

This section begins with procedures that apply to all electors, then describes situations with ID.


  • If you are facing a situation that isn't described in this guidebook, or you need additional help, see your CPS
  • Your CPS will plan for breaks. Wait to be relieved before taking a break

What do I do when an elector arrives?

What do I do when an elector arrives?
Text version of "What do I do when an elector arrives?"

Note Only a DRO or a CPS can decide what ID are acceptable

  • candidates or representatives should be sent to the CPS
  • if an elector tells you their VIC contains errors, send them to the RegO
  • assist the CPS with controlling the flow of electors
  • after electors have voted, politely ask them to leave

Situations with ID or VIC


To vote at a polling station, an elector must be

  • at least 18 years old on election day
  • a Canadian citizen
  • living at an address assigned to that polling station except if they have Transfer Certificate EC 50052

Acceptable ID

When they vote, an elector must show acceptable ID or be vouched for. Acceptable ID proves who they are and where they live. Many different combinations of documents are acceptable; without acceptable ID someone can vouch for who they are and where they live. The ID combination options are listed on Have Your ID Ready to Vote EC 90189. Documents not listed there are not acceptable.

The documents must be in English or French (or Inuktitut, in Nunavut).

Photocopies are not acceptable.

E-statement and e-invoice printouts are accepted. They can also be shown on a mobile device.

Expired documents are acceptable if they show the elector's name and current address.

Documents on which the name or address have been added by hand are not acceptable, unless they have been added by the person or organization that issued the document.

Refer to Have Your ID Ready to Vote EC 90189 when you're not sure.

On the List

When they vote, an elector must be either:

  • already on List of Electors at the polling station, or
  • added to List of Entries at the polling station

Elector says the information on their VIC is wrong or different from their ID

Errors with information on the VIC can be addressed before the elector votes.

Direct the elector to the RegO who will decide what to do.

The elector doesn't have ID that proves their name and address (Vouching)

An elector without ID that proves their name and address can both register and vote if there is another elector who can vouch for their name and address. Vouching is ID option 3.

The voucher must:

  • know the elector,
  • be eligible to vote in this polling place
  • and have ID
  1. IO: Send the elector and the voucher to the registration table

The elector's face is covered

Serve these electors as you would serve any other elector.

If an elector asks you, you can inform them of their options listed below.

Electors who choose to keep their face covered must make a declaration at the polling station before they are given a ballot. They have two options (A or B).

IO: Option A

If the elector wants to use ID option 1 or 2, they must make a declaration on a form at the polling station

IO: Option B

The elector can have another elector vouch for their name and address (ID option 3)

ID is a letter confirming where they live

Facilities which serve electors who might not have ID showing their current residential address can register with the office. The office will tell you about them on List of Facilities EC 50054. The facilities can then give an elector either:

  • a Letter of Confirmation of Residence EC 50053, or
  • a letter printed on the facility's letterhead that confirms the elector lives or receives services there

The elector can use the letter as one piece of ID showing their name and address under option 2. The letter must be used along with a second piece of ID.

  1. IO: Ask the elector if they have a second piece of ID with their name
  2. IO: Direct them according to the regular process

ID shows a mailing address

Normally, ID must show a residential address. If the elector is already registered, the mailing address might be acceptable proof of address. The DRO will decide.

Direct them following the regular process

The elector has a Transfer Certificate

A Transfer Certificate allows an elector to vote at a different polling station than the one they were assigned.

  1. IO: Ask to see the elector's Transfer Certificate EC 50052. Check that the polling station in the ‘To' field is at this polling place
  2. IO: If it is, send the elector to that polling station
    If it's not, send them to the CPS

Example of Elections Canada Transfer certificate
Text version of "Example of Elections Canada Transfer certificate"

Situations with the List

How do I use the Poll Key?

You will only use this if instructed by the CPS.

  • Ask elector for their address and find their street name
  • Find the range of street numbers their street number belongs to
  • Find their polling station

Note at advance polls, look for the Advance Polling District (AP). At ordinary polls, look for the Polling Division (PD)

Note If you can't find an address, see your CPS

Poll Key By Street

Poll Key By Street
Text version of "Poll Key By Street"