News Releases and Media Advisories
A by-election will take place in Outremont
Gatineau, Monday, August 6, 2018
- On Friday, August 3, 2018, the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Outremont (Quebec) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between August 14, 2018, and January 30, 2019. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election period must last at least 36 days, and the by-election must be held on a Monday. Therefore, the earliest date that the Outremont by-election can be held is Monday, September 24, 2018.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent, non-partisan agency that reports directly to Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
Subscribe to our news service at elections.ca.