News Releases and Media Advisories
A by-election will take place in Chicoutimi–Le Fjord
Gatineau, Tuesday, December 5, 2017
- On Monday, December 4, 2017, the Acting Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Stéphane Perrault, received official notice from the Speaker of the House of Commons that the seat for Chicoutimi–Le Fjord (Quebec) is vacant. A by-election will take place to fill the vacant seat.
- The date of the by-election must be announced between Friday, December 15, 2017, and Saturday, June 2, 2018. This announcement signals the start of the by-election period.
- The by-election must be on a Monday, at least 36 days after the date on which it was announced. Therefore, the earliest date that the Chicoutimi–Le Fjord by-election can be held is Monday, January 22, 2018.
- The Canada Elections Act does not prescribe a maximum length of time for a by-election period.
- See a list of all vacant seats in the House of Commons since the 2015 general election.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations