News Releases and Media Advisories
Deregistration of the United Party of Canada
Gatineau, Thursday, July 21, 2016
- The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Marc Mayrand, has accepted a request for the voluntary deregistration of the United Party of Canada, effective August 31, 2016.
- The request was submitted to the Chief Electoral Officer in a letter filed in accordance with section 414 of the Canada Elections Act, dated July 18, 2016, and signed by the party's Leader, President and Secretary.
- The party may no longer issue tax receipts for contributions received after the effective date of its deregistration and is no longer entitled to any of the benefits of a registered party under the Act, including the use of broadcasting time.
- A notice of the party's deregistration will be published in the Canada Gazette.
- An updated list of registered political parties is available on Elections Canada's website.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca