News Releases and Media Advisories
Chief Electoral Officer of Canada Submits Report on
Federal By-elections in 2010
OTTAWA, Friday, March 25, 2011
- The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Marc Mayrand, submitted his report on the November 29, 2010, by-elections to the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Honourable Peter Milliken.
- The by-elections took place in the electoral districts of:
- Dauphin–Swan River–Marquette (Manitoba)
- Vaughan (Ontario)
- Winnipeg North (Manitoba)
- The 2010 by-elections report, as well as the official voting results and contributions and expenses reported by candidates, are available on Elections Canada's Web site.
"The November 2010 by-elections ran smoothly and featured many innovations," said Mr. Mayrand.
"Highlights of the initiatives we undertook include: a pilot project to test an assistive voting device for persons with disabilities; measures to help ensure that polling sites are accessible; implementation of the voter information card as proof of identity and address at some polling sites; and the introduction of community relations officers assigned to seniors. These initiatives are aimed at making the electoral process even more efficient and accessible," added Mr. Mayrand.
Vote. Shape your world.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca