News Releases and Media Advisories
Federal By-elections Underway
Elections Canada Issues Writs of Election for Whitby–Oshawa (Ontario)
and Yellowhead (Alberta)
Gatineau, Sunday, October 12, 2014
- The writs of election were issued today by Elections Canada for the federal by-elections to be held on Monday, November 17, 2014, in the electoral districts of Whitby–Oshawa (Ontario) and Yellowhead (Alberta), to fill two vacancies in the House of Commons.
- The local Elections Canada offices in these electoral districts will be open shortly.
- All Canadian citizens in Whitby–Oshawa and Yellowhead who are at least 18 years of age on election day are eligible to vote. To vote in a federal by-election, an elector's address of ordinary residence must be in the electoral district from the first day of revision of the lists of electors, Wednesday, October 15, until election day, Monday, November 17.
- Electors will be able to vote at advance polls on Friday, November 7, Saturday, November 8 and Monday, November 10; on election day; or by special ballot. Electors who wish to vote by special ballot must apply for their special ballot voting kit no later than 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 11. Applications are available at www.elections.ca, by phone or in person at local Elections Canada offices and Canadian diplomatic or consular offices.
- Electors can use Elections Canada's online voter registration service to check if they are registered, to update their address or, in some cases, to complete their registration.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca