News Releases and Media Advisories
Chief Electoral Officer's Retrospective Report
on the 42nd General Election Is Now Available
Gatineau, Wednesday, September 21, 2016
- Chief Electoral Officer of Canada Marc Mayrand's Retrospective Report on the 42nd General Election of October 19, 2015 is now available on the Elections Canada website.
- The Retrospective Report provides a comprehensive assessment of the election. It draws on multiple lines of evidence, including Elections Canada's post-election surveys of voters, election officers and candidates, as well as the results from an independent audit on the performance of poll workers.
- This is the second report on the 42nd general election; it follows the Chief Electoral Officer's Report on the 42nd general election, released in February 2016, which provided a narrative of the conduct of the election.
- While the findings outlined in this report reaffirm the success of the election, they also reinforce the need to provide electors and political entities with more modern, inclusive and responsive services adapted to the realities of the 21st century.
- The Chief Electoral Officer will soon present to Parliament his recommendations to amend the Canada Elections Act. The findings of the Retrospective Report will inform his recommendations, in view of aligning electoral services with the evolving needs and expectations of Canadians.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Elections Canada Media Relations
or at www.elections.ca