Redistribution of Electoral Districts
The 2022 Redistribution of Federal Electoral Districts is under way. The boundaries of the current 338 federal electoral districts have been revised, and five districts have been added.
The new map of 343 electoral districts will be set out in two representation orders. The representation orders have been proclaimed September 22, 2023. The names and boundaries of future electoral districts will be posted on the Elections Canada website soon. Please consult the timeline to see the milestones leading up to and following proclamation.
The new map and new electoral districts come into effect when Parliament is dissolved for a general election called at least seven months after the representation orders are proclaimed. The earliest date is April 23, 2024.
Elections Canada is committed to providing guidance to registered parties, registered associations and nomination contestants at various milestones during the redistribution process. The information on this page will be updated regularly.
- Effects of the Redistribution Process on Electoral District Associations
- Effects of the Redistribution Process on Nomination Contestants
- Effects of the Redistribution Process on Upcoming By-elections and the Next General Election
- Canada's Electoral Districts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Redistribution Glossary