Political Financing Handbook for Third Parties, Financial Agents and Auditors – June 2021
To be used for non-fixed-date general elections and by-elections
About This Document
Introduction to the handbook
This handbook is designed to help third parties, their financial agents and auditors in the financial administration of regulated activities during a federal election period.
It can be used for by-elections and a non-fixed-date general election held before October 2023. A fixed-date election has extra rules that are not covered in this handbook. A separate handbook will be issued before a fixed-date election.
This document is a general guideline. It is provided for information and is not intended to replace the Canada Elections Act.
Elections Canada will review the contents of this handbook on a regular basis and make updates as required.
The handbook consists of 10 chapters:
- 1. Reference Tables and Timelines
- 2. Registration
- 3. Financial Administration: Overview of Resources
- 4. Financial Administration: Overview of Expenses
- 5. Regulated Activities: Election Advertising in an Election Period
- 6. Regulated Activities: Partisan Activities in an Election Period
- 7. Regulated Activities: Election Surveys in an Election Period
- 8. Identifying and Allocating Regulated Expenses
- 9. Interacting with Other Regulated Entities
- 10. Reporting
|Telephone||Political Entities Support Network
Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern time)
Elections Canada General Enquiries
30 Victoria Street
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0M6
Political Financing Enquiries