Section 2: Statutory requirements to report on proceedings (section 314 of the CEA) – Returning Officers' Report of Proceedings – 43rd General Election
Note: Although this section is mandatory, some ROs did not answer all questions. A follow-up will be conducted with them.
Return of election documents
28. Did you return all election documents in your possession as per instructions?
- There were improperly sent or missing white/yellow Statements of the Vote.
- The Return of Material Reference Table was helpful in planning and executing the return of materials.
- There was a lack of coordinating with the pick-up of materials with Canada Post. Specifically, Canada Post did not always arrive with the equipment to efficiently load and return the required materials and did not always contact ROs concerning pick-up times.
State of returned election documents from the polls
29. Do you have any comments on the state of election documents received from election officers (e.g. documents that should be in sealed envelopes; or bags are not loose, and everything is sealed properly)?
- 118 ROs cited that a sizeable portion of election documents received from election officers was unorganized or improperly sent; simpler closing instructions are required.
- 27 ROs stated that the poor quality of returned election documents was predominantly due to worker exhaustion, particularly due to the increased advance polling hours as a result of Bill C-76.
- 12 ROs stated election officers were overwhelmed by the amount of forms, materials and documents which had a negative effect on the state of election documents.
- 7 ROs wanted more training or simpler closing procedures for election officers.
- Several ROs suggested that placemats from the 42nd GE be modified and provided for the next GE.
Missing ballot boxes
30. Were there any ballot boxes missing?
- 9 missing ballot box incidents were reported to ECHQ; all ballot boxes were subsequently recovered.
In the event where the ballot box and the Statement of the Vote were missing, how did you ascertain the number of votes cast for each candidate?
*Only 9 EDs had missing ballot boxes; there are inaccuracies in the data due to misunderstanding/misinterpretation of this question and question 31.
- 41 ROs obtained the pink copy of the Statement of the Vote from election officers.
- 27 ROs obtained the copy of the results given to the candidates' representatives on polling night.
- 191 ROs used other methods.
- One RO created the Statement of the Vote by using the information recorded on the Envelope: Ballots Cast for a Candidate.
- One DRO did not complete the Statement of the Vote. The RO later had to do this on their own using documentation provided.
- Some ROs used the yellow copy of the Statement of the Vote by retrieving it from the ballot box.
- One RO reported election officers placing Statements of the Vote inside envelopes with ballots.
Missing Statements of the Vote
31. Were there circumstances whereby the ballot box was accounted for; however, the original Statement of the Vote was missing? If yes, how did you ascertain the number of votes cast for each candidate?
Note: ROs could select one or all of the options below. Therefore, the sum of responses does not match the number of ROs who answered "Yes" to the question.
- 175 ROs opened the ballot box and retrieved the yellow copy of the Statement of the Vote.
- 56 ROs opened the large plastic envelope and compiled the results written on each candidate's envelope.
- 48 ROs obtained the pink copy of the Statement of the Vote from election officers.
- 44 ROs found the white or yellow copy of the Statement of the Vote in the ballot box.
- 16 ROs reported some Statements of the Vote were sent improperly in the large white transportation bag or the bag with the ballots.
- 9 ROs used the Copies of Results for Candidates form.
- Some Statements of the Vote were not sent according to instructions which delayed some ROs in their retrieval.
Additional question: post-GE meetings
32. Based on your experience with this GE, are there any specific topics you think should be added to the agenda for discussion during post-event meetings?
- 53 ROs would like to discuss poll worker training. Many ROs want poll worker training to be less theoretical and simplified.
- 33 ROs mentioned recruitment tools and resources as a concern. The limited features of RMS and the unsuccessful integration between RMS and ROPS was disappointing.
- 32 ROs would like to discuss the simplification of the return of materials and a reduction in the amount of forms used by poll workers.
- 20 ROs would like to discuss technology at the polls (i.e. digital List of Electors/poll key, tabulators and optical character recognition for Sequence Number Sheets).
- 12 ROs mentioned that EC Connex was ineffective and frustrating.
- 12 ROs would like to discuss the workload surrounding Sequence Number Sheets.