Canadian voter residing abroad
The deadline to apply to vote by mail in the current general election has passed; it was October 15, 2019 at 6:00 p.m., Eastern time.
If you have not already applied to vote by mail, please vote at your election day polling place on October 21, 2019.
If you have a special ballot, return it before the deadline: your marked special ballot must be received by Elections Canada by Monday, October 21, 2019. Follow the instructions in your special ballot voting kit regarding when and where to return your marked ballot.
If your application and supporting document(s) are in order, we will add your name to the International Register of Electors (the list of Canadian voters living outside Canada).
- Your name will stay on the International Register of Electors as long as you remain eligible. You will not have to reapply to vote by mail at each election.
- At each election in which you are qualified to vote, we will automatically mail a special ballot voting kit to the mailing address you provided.
- Please inform Elections Canada of any changes to your address or contact information so that you will always get your special ballot voting kit.
Prepare to apply to vote by mail (for Canadians living abroad)
1. Make sure to have your last address before leaving Canada on hand
It determines your electoral district. You will vote for a candidate in the electoral district containing this address.
- You must use a physical address. You cannot use a post office box or rural route, except in areas where no other physical address is available.
- This address cannot be changed after your name is added to the International Register of Electors.
2. Choose the address where you want to receive your special ballot voting kit
Most people provide their home address.
If you prefer, you can use the address of a Canadian embassy or consulate as your mailing address, if you arrange it with them beforehand and give them your contact information.
3. Prepare your supporting document(s)
Attach an image of one of these identity documents:
- Pages 2 and 3 of your Canadian passport
- Your Canadian citizenship certificate or card or
- Your birth certificate showing that you were born in Canada.
4. Decide how you want to apply
- Applying online is fastest.
- To apply online, you need digital image(s) of your proof of identity.
- Images can be scans or digital photos.
- Size: each file must be under 2.5 MB.
- Format: PDF or any image file type (JPEG, GIF, TIF, PNG, etc.).
I have digital images of my supporting document(s) ready
Apply by mail, courier or fax
Click here to complete and print your application form