Figure 9 –Direct Public Funding Paid to Eligible Regulated Federal Political Entities and Their Auditors, 2000-2014

This bar graph shows the different sources of direct public funding to eligible regulated federal political entities and their auditors from 2000 to 2014.

The sources of direct public funding are quarterly allowances paid to eligible registered parties, reimbursements of paid election expenses for candidates and registered parties, and audit subsidies paid to the auditors of candidates and EDAs. The X-axis demarks the years from 2000 to 2014. The Y-axis demarks funding in millions; from $0 to $40 million (highest data point is $36.5 million in 2004).

The amounts of different types of direct public funding by year from 2000 to 2014 in millions of dollars are:

2000:
Quarterly allowances - $0.0
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $21.1
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $10.1
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $1.6

2001:
Quarterly allowances - $0.0
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.0

2002:
Quarterly allowances - $0.0
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.6
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.0

2003:
Quarterly allowances - $0.0
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.3
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.0

2004:
Quarterly allowances - $27.7
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $29.2
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $36.5
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $2.8

2005:
Quarterly allowances - $28.6
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.1
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $1.2

2006:
Quarterly allowances - $30.7
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $28.4
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $31.2
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $2.4

2007:
Quarterly allowances - $31.3
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.4
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $1.0

2008:
Quarterly allowances - $31.2
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $29.8
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $32.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $2.5

2009:
Quarterly allowances - $29.7
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.5
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $1.0

2010:
Quarterly allowances - $29.4
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.3
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $1.0

2011:
Quarterly allowances - $30.0
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $26.8
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $34.7
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $2.2

2012:
Quarterly allowances - $24.9
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.6
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.7

2013:
Quarterly allowances - $17.1
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.6
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.7

2014:
Quarterly allowances - $9.3
Candidate expenses reimbursements - $0.4
Registered party expenses reimbursements - $0.0
Candidate and EDA audit subsidies - $0.9

The data shows that before quarterly allowances were introduced in 2004, reimbursements of paid election expenses to registered parties and candidates represented 95% of all direct public funding from 2000 to 2003. Audit subsidies for candidates accounted for the remaining 5%.

Reimbursements of paid electoral expenses to registered parties and candidates after 2004 represented 45% of all direct public funding, while quarterly allowances to eligible registered parties were 52%. Audit subsidies for candidates and EDAs represented 3%.

On the bottom of the graph there are the following notes:

Bill C-24: Amendments to the Canada Elections Act and the Income Tax Act. Introduced publicly-funded quarterly allowances and contribution limits, brought EDAs, nomination and leadership contests into the regulatory system, increased reimbursements of paid regulatory system, increased reimbursements of paid election expenses and political contribution tax credits.

Bill C-2: The Federal Accountability Act. This legislation further reduced contribution limits and restricted eligibility to individuals only.

Bill C-13: An Act to implement certain provisions of the 2011 budget. This Act reduced direct public funding of federal registered political parties by phasing out quarterly allowances. The quarterly allowance was reduced each year starting in 2012 until it was eliminated in 2015.